Thursday, July 9, 2015

Camp NaNoWriMo: Tips

Good Morning Everyone, 

So I've done NaNoWriMo a couple times. I've only missed my goal one time and that was the first time when I let the idea of 50,000 words get to my head. I just didn't think that was even possible. However I've since done it multiple times with great success and this year I thought I would take the plunge and do Camp NaNo this year. It's going pretty well and I thought I would share with you my five tips for NaNo success! 

1. No editing- Seriously. Just write. Don't worry about spelling or grammar. Just write and write and write. 

2. Go slow- You might think that going full throttle at the beginning is going to give you a nice head start and put you in a good place toward the middle of the month with the slump hits. However this is a really good way to burn yourself out. Take your time. 

3. Time- Find the time that works for you and commit to writing during that time. I usually write in the early mornings before Kyra is up or if she had a bad night and I don't get my morning time I write late at night. Either way, when I sit down to write I am there for writing and nothing else. 

4. Jump Around- You do not have to go in a linear pattern. I usually begin with a scene that started in my head. It might be in the middle. It might be the ending. It might just be some random scene that will take place a quarter through the book. Just write what you are feeling and don't worry about the order. NaNo is not the time for edits remember! 

5. Be Equipped- Carry around notebooks, note pads, pens, etc. Use these items to help you get to word count by being observant and having them ready for when an idea strikes and you are nowhere near your computer! This has helped me SO MANY TIMES. 

So there you have my top 5 tips. There are tons more out there and I hope these help you if you decide to embark on this journey. Still you must remember that these are just tips and you need to do you! Just Write!

1 comment:

  1. I think my issue with creative writing anymore is that I'm always editing myself as I go. I shouldn't do that. Great tips.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Follow Us @soratemplates


Categories

Contact Me

Chaosandcocoa@gmail.com

Instagram

NaNoWriMo

Popular Posts