So lately I've been having a little trouble thinking of things to write. I cannot tell you how many minutes have passed me by while I stare at the blank page or blank screen. It is so frustrating to know that you SHOULD be writing but there is just nothing that wants to be written. I always feel so guilty if I close the laptop or the journal without writing anything down or meeting my word count for the day. Writers Write!!! They do not give up!
So I decided that I would put together a post of things that I do in order to get back to writing again!
1) Get Musical. Find a playlist or spend some time creating one. I like to find classical styles normally for more intense or thoughtful scenes and songs with lyrics that I really like for scenes with more dialogue. Either way music can really help get the ideas flowing!
The Piano Guys
2) Go for a Walk. Sometimes you just have to get out of the house and get some outside stimuli. It helps me clear my head and start to let my mind wander away from all the other things that I am worried about and before I know it I am daydreaming. Daydreaming always helps me come up with new ideas!
3) Check out Pinterest "Writing Prompts". There are so many prompts for both blogs and just writing in general! Sometimes you just have to write something different from your current project to shake things up a bit!
4) Read! I believe the only way to be a good writer is to be a good reader! So pick up a book, something that you enjoy, something that made you want to write in the first place! Books inspire great thoughts, let them inspire you!
I tend to gravitate toward books about writing when I am having a case of writer's block. My favorites are these:
Stephen King's---- On Writing
Barbara Demarco- Barret's----- Pen on Fire
5) Free Writing. I know you have heard this before, but it really does help. Sometimes all you need to get started is to just start typing or writing. It doesn't matter what you are writing about. It could be the weather, the items on your desk, how frustrated you are that you can't seem to write anything....just write! Even if you don't get anything brilliant written, you still "exercised" your writing ability and the next time it will come easier and you will break through your block!
I hope these tips were helpful to you! Happy Writing Everyone!