Tuesday, September 11, 2018

What I Read This summer



I didn't get much reading done this summer since I was busy with a newborn but I did get a few things read and I've really missed the linkup so I managed to gather up my small list so I could join in today! 

Crazy Rich Asian Series by Kevin Kwan- I picked up this series simply because I saw the trailer for the first movie and thought it looked like fun. I am so glad I did because I absolutely adored this series! It was funny, dramatic, a little over the top, and just plain awesome. I would highly recommend the entire trilogy to anyone and especially anyone that like myself enjoys reading about Asian customs or also has a slight affinity for over the top practically royal antics. I cannot wait to see the movie! 


Call The Midwife by Jennifer Worth- I've watched the whole series on Netflix and thought it would be fun to listen to and I wasn't disappointed. The narrator is perfect and the stories are just so fascinating and compelling and it is hard to picture that this life wasn't so long ago. I'm so grateful for all the advancements in medicine and birthing options since then. I will admit I waited on this one until Ty was born but I'm looking forward to listening to the rest of the series now that he's safely arrived and won't go into a panic attack. 
1197423

The Grownup by Gillian Flynn- This was actually a short story which I wasn't aware of at the onset but it was pretty decent and on par with Flynn's novels. Creepy and disturbing but some very interesting characters. 
26025580

Girl Logic by Iliza Shlesinger- I found Iliza on Netflix one dull day and managed to binge watch all her specials in just a week. I really enjoy her brand of humor as I relate to it being an "Elder Millennial" myself. When I found out she had written a book I knew I had to pick it up. It was extremely funny and honestly if I was still a single girl living on my own then it would have been completely relatable but since I'm an old married (ha) it didn't apply much to me. Still it was funny and I love her take charge attitude and her story of how she made her way in a career that is traditionally a male dominated field. At the very least you should check out her comedy specials. 
31423607


So what have you been reading lately?
Life According to Steph

8 comments:

  1. good to hear about crazy rich asians! it didn't sound like my jam but then i saw the trailer and couldn't resist, so i have the book at home and hoping to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't get into Crazy Rich Asians but am happy to see so many loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a lot of mixed feelings about the Grownup. But I do recommend it, especially since it's so short.

    I plan to see Crazy Rich Asians at some point. I have it on my TBR but haven't gotten to it and this is one of those times the movie will just have to be good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really cant wait to read the Crazy Rich series. Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading Crazy Rich Asians right now and am enjoying it-- I'm excited to see the movie too. Call the Midwife sounds like it would be really interesting-- I've heard good things about the show and will probably get around to watching it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for Crazy Rich Asians. :D I'm glad you enjoyed it. It is over the top and that's why I like it - being different than how a lot of people think about Asians.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just recently gifted The Grownup, and I love Gillian Flynn, so I hope to read that soon. I haven't read the Crazy Rich Asians trilogy but I loved the movie.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't realize Gillian Flynn wrote short stories! Sounds super interesting because I just recently read Sharp Objects and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Follow Us @soratemplates


Categories

Contact Me

Chaosandcocoa@gmail.com

Instagram

NaNoWriMo

Popular Posts