Tuesday, April 30, 2013

My Life in Dogs Pt 2

Big Ryder’s Story
 
The story of how Ryder came to live with us is a pretty simple story, but you have to know his story along with Miss Bella’s in order to know about the little pups that are now in our lives.
Ryder’s story actually begins with Joe and my cousin Tommy. 
 
My cousin Tommy passed away quite suddenly, leaving his dog Joe without anyone in the world. Joe was an Australian Shepherd and a one man dog, he needed love and he needed a home. My dad told my Aunt that we would take Big Joe, we had the land and we had the love. So Big Joe came to live with us. 
 
Joe may have started off as a one man dog…but after a few weeks in our family, well he was everyone’s dog. He loved us all and we dearly loved him. However he and my dad had a very special relationship. They were always together. They had six wonderful years together before Big Joe passed on from this life. 
 
My dad’s heart was broken, and when a tough guy like that cries…well all of us were hurting after losing our Joe. 
 
A year after Joe, mom thought it was time for a new addition to the family. Daddy needed a dog of his own. He missed Joe terribly…and it was time for a new friend. We decided we would get him a puppy for Father’s Day. It was a long and difficult search. We wanted a pup that looked a lot like Big Joe, we wanted another Aussie. I searched and searched for months and finally by August, I had found him.
It was a Sunday afternoon and my dad had gone blue rock shooting with my husband when I found Ryder. It happened quite by accident while searching Facebook but once I saw him…I knew. I showed his picture to Mom who immediately told me that this was the one and I made the call. We could go and pick him up tonight…in Nebraska…three hours away. Yeah…like we cared! 
 

So once Dad got home we told him that this was his father’s day gift (two months late!) and that we needed to go and get his pup. That was the most exciting drive! The minute we got the puppy and Dad held him and the little guy gave him a kiss…we knew we had done the right thing. Daddy would never stop missing Joe…but he was going to love this little guy just as much. 
 
Ryder was such a good car rider that that is how his name happened. He did so well in the car and still loves to go on car rides. He is affectionate with all of us but he only has eyes for my dad. Best friends for life, they are. 
 
Well Big Ryder is a registered Australian Shepherd; beautiful boy has papers and everything. He’s gorgeous…and of course not fixed. Which brings us to these three….
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Follow Us @soratemplates


Categories

Contact Me

Chaosandcocoa@gmail.com

Instagram

NaNoWriMo

Popular Posts