Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Show Us Your Books: First of 2018!

I'm finally back for the best linkup of the month! Let's see those books!


Clothes Make the Girl (Look Fat) by Brittany Gibbons- I really love Brittany's voice. I listen to her weekly podcast and am part of the Curvy Girl Community. I loved her first book Fat Girl Walking so I knew I would be purchasing this one once it came out. I devoured this book. I finished it in less than 24 hours but to be fair it isn't that long. However I relate to her so much in this book. Shopping has always been rough for me. I'm never the same size in any store and when I'm in the plus section I'm usually reduced to tears in the dressing room because everything is designed for the elderly or it's some form of animal print. As if since I'm plus size I'm suddenly all to eager to look like a leopard or a zebra. I could totally relate to all the experiences that Brittany discusses in this book and I love her letter to her daughter about learning to love who you are just as you are. If you too have struggled with clothing and fashion I'd imagine you'd be right on board with this book too!
34217563

So Much I want to Tell You by Anna Akana- I've watched Anna on YouTube for a few years now and I've always found her to be super funny and very honest but this book was just something all together more. This book is a set of letters that she has written to her sister who committed suicide as a teenager. It's powerful in some places, sob worthy in others. I really loved how she faces the whole thing head on and admits her faults and embraces her strengths when it comes to life and how she handled her grief. Great read but maybe bring tissues.
32969084

The Troop by Nick Cutter- Yuck. Seriously that is the first word that comes to mind when I think of this book. I picked it up because I was in the mood for something scary and this was at the top of many lists. I didn't find it really scary though, mostly I was just grossed out and horrified. I can see how some people might find this scary but I spent so much of it horrified and grossed out that I wasn't scared at all just vaguely ill. This book can best be described as slightly Lord of the Flies meets Slither? Or some other disgusting gore flick. Can't say I would recommend this one but if you are into gross and creepy well...maybe it's for you.
17571466

Scythe by Neal Shusterman- Some may know Shusterman from the Unwind series which I didn't really get into but this series is another story! I loved this new dystopian world because it was very different from the other dystopian novels that I've read. Without giving too much away, Death has been cured. No one dies anymore. Not from disease or accident or anything they are immediately revived and go about their lives. But death is still necessary and so it is the Scythe's job to select random persons to die a permanent death. By any means. This book is so intense and the characters are just amazing. I could go on and on but honestly I don't want to give anything away and ruin it for you! This one is a 10 out of 10 and even more exciting the second book comes out today!
28954189

So there are my reads this month! Be sure to join the linkup and share your books!
Life According to Steph

4 comments:

  1. i've heard about Scythe but it wasn't on my TBR for some reason, adding it now. the troop sounds awful haha avoiding that one

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Much I Want to Tell You sounds like a sad, important book

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I picked it up because I was in the mood for something scary" = something you'll never hear me say. LOL LOL LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the first book in the Unwind series and enjoyed it but never felt compelled to read the rest of the series. Now Scythe sounds really different and I am very intrigued. For some reason, though, I thought the entire series was out. Sometimes I wait to start a series until I can read it all in one swoop. I"m not always very patient. :D I enjoy scary novels but The Troop does not sound like my kind of book.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Follow Us @soratemplates


Categories

Contact Me

Chaosandcocoa@gmail.com

Instagram

NaNoWriMo

Popular Posts