Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Talent-Less


I am the daughter of two very talented artists. My parents can both draw amazingly well, they paint, they can build just about anything. My mom is also a tailor and has done both military uniforms as well as all our Halloween costumes over the years.

My brother Brandon is gifted at about anything he tries. He can draw, sculpt, paint, photograph, video, and do special effects makeup. He also plays the guitar and taught himself the Cello in a weekend.

My youngest brother Dylan is amazing at video editing and in general is super smart. He is very strategic and analytical. He can solve pretty much any problem. He can also sew and cook.

My husband is just as analytical as my brother and also is very good at drawing.

Then there is me. How can I explain me? Well I write, so there is that, but honestly NO ONE reads the things I write. My blog is pretty much just me rambling and my actual book is a claim to fame in that I'm the only one that cares if it is good or not. Actually unless you are published no one cares what you are writing....and that is a fact.

So what else am I good at? Ha...that is the question. I cannot draw. Period. Cannot do it. I'm not much of a painter since I can't draw. I can't build anything because no one ever let me near power tools, which probably was a good idea. I cannot sew because I was a snot when I was younger and never payed attention to what my mom said. So what am I good at?

When talking to my mom about imaginary businesses that my brothers and I could start she was naming all of the things my brothers could do and then said, "And you could keep the books...." I protested that that was boring and she said, "Well yes, but that is what you are GOOD at!"

WTF? Everyone else gets to be creative and I get the damn bookkeeping??!!! Just because I am good at spreadsheets, just because it is pretty much all I've ended up doing at every job, ever....does not mean that I like it! I HATE IT. Seriously do you ever hear me talking about missing work? Even on days when I have been cleaning up poo, pee, puke (all those words start with the letter "p" apparently it is not an attractive letter...) I never mention missing work. Because I DON'T.

It reminded me of the time in school when we were going on a field trip to Exchange City. For those not in the KC area it is a little building with a faux town in it where the kids get to pretend they are grown ups. You have jobs, have fake money, there is a bank, you take lunch breaks, etc.

Anyhow before we got to go we had to do these pretend interviews for the jobs we wanted. I remember I wanted to work at the store where you got to make these paper flowers that looked like giant pom poms. My second choice was the balloon store where you got to learn how to blow up a balloon inside of another balloon, and my third option was creating the paper sacks that people got to carry all of the silly things that they bought. All of the choices involved creating things.

So guess which one I got?

 Ha! Joke was on me, I got put in the factory but as a bookkeeper. I had to write the checks to other businesses for all our materials and crap. Seriously I had to keep this giant check book and balance it out at the end of the day. THAT WAS IT.

When I asked why I got that job instead of any of the others my teacher said, "Because you are good at it!" I wanted to punch him in the face. Just because I was one of the "smart" kids I got put into the crap job. Which explains a lot of why I pretend to not know anything and not speak up, I am tired of getting stuck with the crap job just because I am smart enough to figure it out.

So I am going to find something I love to do. I want a passion in my life that is totally my own. I love being a mom but I am more than just that. I want to find my talent.

So I am going to work on a few things and report back here, we are going on a talent search and you all get to witness my epic wins and fails!

Now I'm off because the dogs are demanding to be walked. Big hugs to you all and welcome to the Talent Search!

You have a talent that none of the rest of us have. Just find out what it is and use it. It's doing nothing that's the enemy. - Downtown Abbey quote

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Follow Us @soratemplates


Categories

Contact Me

Chaosandcocoa@gmail.com

Instagram

NaNoWriMo

Popular Posts